"We must achieve the character and acquire the skills to live much poorer than we do. We must waste less. We must do more for ourselves and for each other. It is either that or continue merely to think and talk about changes that we are inviting catastrophe to make. The great obstacle is simply this: the conviction that we cannot change because we are dependant on what is wrong. But that is the addict's excuse, and we know that it will not do."
—Wendell Berry

Thursday 13 March 2014

Almost there

Despite the two weeks heavy rain courtesy of two cyclones blowing about up here, we have still managed to get some work done.
 The shed is now sheeted and dry. The window at the top will have a shutter that will be closed when the shed is being used as a smoker. I have resealed the firebox with refractory cement (used in kilns and fireboxes) and patched all cracks with a black stove putty. This old stove should now see many more years of service. And before anyone points it out, YES I know the damn flue is not straight... I will be fixing that soon. I was in a hurry to finish and it was getting dark so I skipped on using the spirit level and this happened.
 I will be mounting a pair of doors on the front to allow it to be sealed as a smoker. Most of the time they will sit open. To the left of the shed I will put a wood bunker under cover. On the other side will be a large bin for potatoes (pig food, I get the seconds free from a local grower), also shielded from the weather but placed on skids so I can drag it away with the tractor to be cleaned out.
The flue mounted out the back wall to help keep the roof watertight as well as remove the waste heat as quickly as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment