"We must achieve the character and acquire the skills to live much poorer than we do. We must waste less. We must do more for ourselves and for each other. It is either that or continue merely to think and talk about changes that we are inviting catastrophe to make. The great obstacle is simply this: the conviction that we cannot change because we are dependant on what is wrong. But that is the addict's excuse, and we know that it will not do."
—Wendell Berry

Sunday 12 May 2013

New cheese, new dog.

Serendipity will play her role in the most unexpected ways. Having lost Max to a snakebite a while back, I was looking around for a new puppy. I was sort of thinking about a Blue heeler, I have always wanted a Bluey, they are fantastically intelligent dogs. In fact I have been trying to obtain a good blue heeler pup for years but another dog always came along first. This time was no different.
Meet Rufus. I was over at a friends place when his wife mentioned she was helping find homes for a litter of puppies. Free but only to approved people. I was initially reluctant but soon warmed to the idea, especially when I found out he was a Border collie, Kelpie cross. My very first and most beloved dog was this same cross. So I brought home this little fellow and after some discussion we named him Rufus. He is a bright little chap and learns very quickly, he is also very outgoing, friendly and loves to explore. I expect he will turn into a very good dog, but we shall see.
In other news, I pulled the Brie cheeses I had maturing out of the fridge only to discover that the humidity had been too low. Even though the cheese had a good bloom of the expected white mould it was much too firm for a Brie which should be creamy and soft. Disappointed, I examined the cheeses to see how they looked inside only to discover an almost cheddar texture and a firm crust. The taste was superb! I had unwittingly created a version of some of the rare French style hard-bloomed cheeses. I will definitely be making this mistake again.

No comments:

Post a Comment