"We must achieve the character and acquire the skills to live much poorer than we do. We must waste less. We must do more for ourselves and for each other. It is either that or continue merely to think and talk about changes that we are inviting catastrophe to make. The great obstacle is simply this: the conviction that we cannot change because we are dependant on what is wrong. But that is the addict's excuse, and we know that it will not do."
—Wendell Berry

Saturday 10 December 2011

And so here we are.

It is half past twelve at night as I write this. I have finally made up my mind to post a blog about our patch of paradise for those interested.
I describe it as life in the clouds as a strictly accurate description of our farm. We are at 806 metres above sea level, or 2644 feet for those who prefer imperial. Our farm is located in North Queensland on the great dividing range not far from Mount Bartle Frere. We have almost ten acres of land. Approximately seven of which is cleared and relatively level, the balance is rainforest on the slopes to the creek. We sit at the very top of the valley which eventually leads to Innisfail. On a clear day we can see the sea on the horizon. Most days it is not so clear and we can see a lot of cloud from the inside. I like it, it is kind of private.
A view to our top paddocks from the house yard.

I refer to our place as a farm and so it is. We grow almost all of our own food. It is not a hobby and I detest being called a hobby farmer. I also dislike being called an organic farmer or a permaculturalist. I am simply farming by methods used by people for thousands of years. Modern, industrial, farmers I refer to as "chemical farmers" and they have earned the title.
Our current setup includes Cattle for milk and meat, chooks for eggs and meat, geese for mowing in the orchard and meat and pigs for meat.
You have probably guessed by now that we are not vegetarians.
But we also have an extensive vegetable garden which feeds us well. The orchard is still young and will be some time before we really see much from it.
The farm is a constant sequence of ongoing projects. I have just finished a set of pig pens. Currently I am working on the new chook pens to replace the rather dilapidated affair that was here when we arrived. After that I have to re-render a cement water tank, erect a carport, cement the floors to four sheds, finish the stockyard and fence the bottom paddock. I am sure there will be plenty of other projects added by the time I get through that lot. I don't mind the work though, in fact I have come to love it! My day is not complete unless I get some good hard labour in somewhere.
In any case, tonight's blog is just a quick overview. I will be going into things in more depth in the future. See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment