"We must achieve the character and acquire the skills to live much poorer than we do. We must waste less. We must do more for ourselves and for each other. It is either that or continue merely to think and talk about changes that we are inviting catastrophe to make. The great obstacle is simply this: the conviction that we cannot change because we are dependant on what is wrong. But that is the addict's excuse, and we know that it will not do."
—Wendell Berry

Saturday 24 August 2013

Meat chooks almost there

From this
48 hours.
 to this
Six weeks.
to this
Eight weeks.
Not bad. Now I know I said I would raise them over twelve weeks or so but at this rate I don't think that will be necessary or feasible. So I reckon we will give them another week, perhaps two before putting them in the freezer. I would love to know precisely what cross these birds are but I doubt the breeder will ever give that away. Either way, they eat like kings and grow like nothing I have ever seen before. They are raised on a diet of natural high protein food with no additives as well as greens. If the cow were in milk then they would be getting some of that too.

So next week I will get the plucker out with its new and more powerful motor, boil up some water and have a family day putting the chooks in the freezer. That should be about a years supply of chicken.  

1 comment:

  1. Chicken fricassee, chicken lasagne, chicken parmigiana, chicken cacciatore, chicken Rika marsala, butter chicken, honey and ginger chicken, maple glazed chicken, Vietnamese chicken salad, and last but definitely not least, coq au vin.

    ReplyDelete