"We must achieve the character and acquire the skills to live much poorer than we do. We must waste less. We must do more for ourselves and for each other. It is either that or continue merely to think and talk about changes that we are inviting catastrophe to make. The great obstacle is simply this: the conviction that we cannot change because we are dependant on what is wrong. But that is the addict's excuse, and we know that it will not do."
—Wendell Berry

Thursday 1 March 2012

The humble farm gate


I designed these gates myself. They are nothing special, just a variation on the slide bar stock gate. I like them because they are not only a lot cheaper than steel gates but they will last longer, yes longer, and are far more versatile. My design uses a sliding top bar to open or latch the gate. The body is made from 25 X 150mm treated pine and is just bolted and nailed together. When the timber finally does give way the bolts can be re-used on the replacement gate. Longevity wise, I put up a steel gate five years ago at the same time as I made a batch of these timber gates. Today I noticed the steel gate is almost completely rusted out and will probably not last more than a few more months. The timber gates look as good as the day they were made.

1 comment: